Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Latest in Detecting Deception

I spend about two and a half weeks in my Fraud Examination class studying how we can detect when someone is being deceptive. I think it's a fascinating area that holds a lot of promise as one of the best things auditors could learn to utilize to detect fraud. If I was king of independent auditing for a day, I would change auditors' requirements to interview for fraud but that is the subject of a future post...

When I teach about detecting deception, I emphasize to my students that non-verbal cues are much less reliable than verbal cues. Some recent research shows that text analysis in verbal cues reveals four patterns in people who are lying. Check out the short, but informative, video below to learn more.


2 comments:

  1. Where's the video? There's just a blank space. Could you give us any hints as to where we might find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, the video is embedded and should show below the post. If it doesn't, you can go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0-WkpmTPrM.

      Delete